Monday, April 20, 2009

Bodh Gaya

(Lauren)

Okay so it took me a really long time to get settled again in the US and feel like I have even a free minute to finish the blog (well not really even, I’m at work write not writing this). Although it is after the fact, I feel that I have to do the trip justice and give it an ending.

So here it goes….

Outside of spending time with Siddhartha and the orphans (this seems like such an outdated term), we took many naps in Bodh Gaya as the heat was oppressive. When not napping, we were spending time at the Mahabodhi temple or visiting the other stunning Buddhist temples in the town. On one of our trips to visit temples, a local kid joined us. He was very sweet and talkative, but I kept ignoring him as did Steve for the most part. The amount of people that come up to you in India and want something from you can be overwhelming. Everyone deals with this on slot differently, my way is to ignore. I realized after the kid parted ways with us that he wanted nothing more than to be our friend and get to know us. He wanted nothing from us. I still feel guilty as I’m typing this for the way I treated him.

After we parted with the kid, we went to the Japanese temple for an hour of Zen meditation. It began with a Zen monk chanting in Japanese for about 10 minutes and then there was just silence. I realized sitting there how rusty my concentration has become. It was excruciating sitting still for the hour even though I have done it hundreds of times in the past. Steve and I spoke about it afterwards and shared this sentiment. We made a pact to keep up a meditation practice when we return home (so far Steve is upholding the agreement and I am slacking!)

We spent every evening at dusk at the Mahabodhi. There is truly nothing like it. It’s almost bringing me to tears in my cubicle right now remembering it. Such a blend of cultures, nationalities, and practices surrounding a magnificent banyan tree. Just sit below the tree for a while and you will see monks, nuns, and lay people chanting, prostrating, meditating, tourist milling, etc. The lighting is amazing too, turning the whole scene into fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment