Sunday, March 22, 2009

Niranjana Welfare Trust

(Lauren) I cannot write enough of the amazing work that Siddhartha has done since we had last met. Here is a guy for one of the poorest areas of India, when I met him 10 years ago he had big plans to help the children of Bihar. I had my doubts how this would be possible for him, but 10 years later he has surpassed my wildest expectations! He started an orphanage that shelters about 40 children, a school that teaches about 350 students, and a health clinic that people travel from a 30 mile radius to visit. We feel in love with the staff and children and are so passionate to come home and fund raise for them to support this amazing work. I spoke to a woman last night who told me that people might not be interested in what we saw in India and might not give, but we really hope this is not the case. Being in the midst of this kind of poverty and desparation has changed both of us and I am hoping we can help in whatever way we can. It really puts things in perspective: it take about 40$ a month to house a child at the orphanage so how can I return and buy an un-needed dress when a child could be learning in school or performing child labor and we as Americans have so much power with our dollar, yes even in a weak economy. I think the current economic situation can cause a tendency for people to seal up their wallets, but how amazing would it be if we did the opposite. if this time could instead be an awakening that hot water, big houses and cars, freedom are not a right but a priveledge that few are born with? I can no longer turn my back. rant end.

No comments:

Post a Comment